Paul Mpho Makwana is a 50-year-old South African businessperson and founder of Epitome Investments (Pty) Ltd. He has headed nine different companies and is currently the Independent Chairman of Nedbank Group Ltd.
Makwana was Non-Executive Director at Adcock Ingram and Nedbank and joined ArcelorMittal in 2013. He served as Chairman of the Board at Eskom and ArcelorMittal SA.
Mpho has headed other notable companies and organizations in the past. He was Chairman and CEO at enX Group Ltd.,
Mpho obtained an undergraduate degree from the University of Pretoria. He holds another undergraduate degree from the University of Zululand.
The businessperson holds a BAdmin (Hons) and a Postgraduate Diploma in Retail Management. He is an expert in human resources, marketing, business strategy, and strategic planning.
On November 17, 2011, he became an Independent Non-executive Director of the Nedbank board. He served as Lead Independent Director and Acting Chairperson.
On December 2, 2021, he became the Chairperson of the board. He had served as the Chairperson of the Invest in Africa Mining Indaba.
Makwana is a former Chairperson of Eskom Holdings Limited. At Eskom, he led the team that kept the lights on during the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
Paul sits as Chairperson of ArcelorMittal SA Limited and Safcol SOC Limited. He is also the Chairperson of the Limpopo Economic Development Agency.
Makwana is the Lead Independent Director on the board of Invicta Holdings Limited. He is an Independent Non-executive Director on the boards of BTE Renewables (Pty) Limited and Platinum Group Metals.
Paul is a Trustee of non-profit initiatives like the FLG Modise Pentecost Foundation and the Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund. He served as Chairman for Epitome Investments (Pty) Ltd.
Mpho was also the Independent Non-Executive Chairman at ITNA Pty Ltd. He served as Chairman of South African Forestry Company SOC Ltd.
The businessman was the Independent Non-Executive Chairman at ArcelorMittal South Africa Ltd. Mr. Paul is also Chairman of The New LoveLife Trust and a Member of The Institute of Directors.
Mpho has experience in
- climate change
- resources and infrastructure
- retail and investment banking
- large corporates
- stakeholder management
- Independent Non-executive Director, Nedbank.
- Lead Independent Director and Acting Chairperson, Nedbank
- Chairperson of the board, Nedbank.
- Former Chairperson, Invest in Africa Mining Indaba.
- Former Chairperson, Eskom Holdings Limited.
- Chairperson, ArcelorMittal SA Limited.
- Chairperson of the Limpopo Economic Development Agency.
- Chairperson, Safcol SOC Limited.
- Lead Independent Director, boards of Invicta Holdings Limited.
- Independent Non-executive Director, boards of BTE Renewables (Pty) Limited.
- Independent Non-executive Director, boards of Platinum Group Metals.