MEXT Scholarships 2024 are Japanese Government sponsored Scholarships that support foreign students who are interested in studying at a higher education institution in Japan, selected on the recommendation of Japanese Embassy/Consulate General.
The Scholarship is a fully funded Scholarship available for undergraduate, masters and PhD candidates to study in Japan. It is administered on behalf of the Japanese Government by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT).
Generally, the application period of the Japanese Government MEXT Scholarship opens in April of each year. This scholarship does not require applicants to possess IELTS/TOEFL or Japanese language proficiency.
- Scholarship Sponsor(s): Japanese Government (MEXT)
- Scholarship Type: Full Funding
- Host Institution(s): Higher Education Institutions in Japan
- Scholarship Worth: Not specified
- Number of Awards: Several
- Study Level: Undergraduate, Masters and PhD
- Nationality: All Nationalities
See Also: Fulbright Scholarship Application 2024 | What to Know
MEXT Scholarships 2024 | Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible for the MEXT Scholarships 2024 to Study in Japan, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must demonstrate excellent academic and research abilities.
- Undergraduate applicants must be at least 17 and under 25 years of age and have completed 12 years of school education or have completed courses in a school comparable to a high school (includes prospective graduates).
- Masters and PhD applicants must be under 35 years of age and a college graduate (includes prospective graduates). Or you must have completed 16 years of schooling.
- Teacher Training applicants must be under 35 years of age and a graduate of a college or teacher training college. You must have at least five years of active experience as a teacher in a primary, secondary or teacher training college in your country.
- Allowances: Monthly Stipend Allowance, Preparatory Allowance (2024 Rate)
- Education Fees: Fees for the Entrance Examination, Tuition Fee at Universities will be paid by MEXT.
- Traveling Expenses: Transportation to Japan: MEXT will cover your Round Airfare Travel Expenses from your Country to Japan. The Airline ticket will be an Economy-class ticket for the flight.
- Accommodations: Residence halls for international students provided by universities.
How-to-Apply: Japanese government scholarship students are recruited and selected in two ways which are the Embassy recommendation and University recommendation. Application fee is not charged. So please be aware that organizations or individuals who charge application fee or deposits have no relation with the Japanese Government.
1# Embassy recommendation
In this type of scholarship, scholarship recipients are recruited and initially screened by a Japanese embassy (or consulate general, depending on the country). As the application process differs according to the country in which the Japanese embassy is located, please inquire at the Japanese embassy or consulate general in your country for details.
The initial screening (documentary examination, written test and interview) is made at the embassy. The embassy then recommends the selected candidates to the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Application Forms along with Certificate of Health, and Recommendation Letter should be submitted to the Japanese embassy or consulate general in your country. These documents can be printed out and filled in by hand-written, typed out, or filled in with software applications and printed out.
You May Like: List of Top Government Scholarships 2024 | Fully Funded
2# University recommendation
University recommendation is a scheme in which Japanese universities recruit scholarship candidates based on their student-exchange agreements with schools overseas. After a screening of candidates, universities recommend them to Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) as potential recipients.
Programs offered within this scheme are Research students, Undergraduate students, Japanese and Japanese culture students, as well as College of Technology.
- Application form
- Academic transcript(s) for all school years of school/university attended
- Certificate of health
- Certificate(s) of graduation of school/university attended.
- Recommendation letter from a teacher or lecturer of last school/university attended.