The Injini’s EdTech in collaboration with Mastercard Foundation welcomes applications from suitably qualified candidates to enrol in the Mastercard Foundation EdTech Fellowship Program designed for high-growth and high-impact companies addressing pressing challenges in education in South Africa through technology and innovation.
Injini’s EdTech Fellowship Program is a 6-month, equity-free, hybrid venture support program that takes a partnership approach to business acceleration, broken down into three core focus areas which will be delivered from May through October 2024.
- Fellowship Sponsor(s): Injini’s EdTech & Mastercard Foundation
- Host Institution(s): The Injini’s EdTech
- Funding Amount: Funded
- Number of Awards: Several
- Study Level: Startup founders and Senior Business Leaders
- Nationality: All Nationalities
See Also: Teach for Nigeria Fellowship for Nigerian Graduates 2024
Applicants are expected to fulfil the following requirements for the Injini Mastercard Foundation EdTech Fellowship Program:
- Addresses a substantial market opportunity, with a focus on South Africa;
- Has a tech-enabled solution designed to increase access and improve educational outcomes in South Africa, preferably supporting learners in pre-primary education (ages 0-5), primary and secondary education (ages 5-18) and/or teacher training and professional development;
- Post-revenue, growth-stage start-up (annual revenue likely exceeding R1,000,000). If the applicant is a non-profit entity, grant funding constitutes annual revenue;
- Has the potential to reach 8,000 direct learners within one year of program participation
- Led by a diverse team with a strong understanding of the context in which they operate – are especially excited to support inspiring female founders and leadership teams.
The EdTech Fellowship Key Objectives:
- Facilitate market access with a lens to increase reach to learners at the “bottom of the pyramid”;
- Design and implement, or refine, impact measurement, monitoring, and evaluation systems; and
- Improve financial sustainability, including investment readiness support, where appropriate.
The Injini Mastercard Foundation EdTech Fellowship Program benefits include:
- Each selected EdTech company, or “Fellow”, will receive Injini’s specialised acceleration support valued at over R2,500,000, in partnership with Mastercard Foundation.
- Hands-on support from specialists in education innovation, fundraising, impact M&E, commerce and more;
- Pedagogical evaluation and certification by EdTech Impact and Education Alliance Finland;
- Bespoke market research support by Injini’s team of education innovation researchers;
- “Sponsored Skills” to swiftly address team needs, produce targeted outputs, and strengthen your overall capacity for long-term business success with the help of external consultants;
- Networking, knowledge-sharing and learning opportunities with key ecosystem players and industry experts;
- Access to a selection of courses, in addition to office hours from the Human-Computer Interaction Institute faculty members at Carnegie Mellon University – a global leader in education technology and applied learning sciences;
- Contributing to a growing body of evidence documenting “what works” in African EdTech; and
- Equity-free venture funding of over R1,000,000.
How-to-Apply: Candidates applying for the program will be expected to participate in the below engagements as part of the shortlisting and selection process.
- Round One – Application Form Submission: Eligible EdTech founders or business leaders are invited to submit an application by clicking this link.
- Round Two – Virtual Interviews: The top 25 EdTech companies will be invited to a virtual interview with the Injini team.
- Round Three – Due Diligence: Shortlisted applicants will be requested to submit additional information to further evaluate each business and its potential for growth in the EdTech Fellowship Program.
- Round Four – Pitches: 18 EdTech companies will be selected and invited to pitch their solution to the Injini selection committee in Cape Town on 26 and 17 March 2024.
- Successful and Unsuccessful Candidates Notified: 28 March 2024
- Program Onboarding and Contracting: 1 April 2024
- Cohort Kick-off Event: The final selected 12 South African EdTech companies will be invited to present at an exclusive event taking place in Cape Town on 11 April 2024.
Note, all costs relating to travelling to and from Cape Town for those residing elsewhere in South Africa will be covered by Injini (for one person per company).
Application Deadline: February 13, 2024
Visit the Official Website for Further Details